Saturday 10 October 2020

Know The Novel Part One: Introducing Project Wales

 So. Hi. It's been a while. Big oof.

A lot has happened since last time I was on here. I'm not going to get into it all now and I'm honestly not sure how much I'm actually going to be active on here for a while, considering I've just started another course and I'm planning on adding NaNoWriMo to that workload apparently, so I don't think I need a blog to try and keep up with, at least not for a while. 

But I really wanted to join this link-up so! Brief bout of activity it is!

As I am doing NaNoWriMo this year, I figured I'd join the Know The Novel linkup this time around. So here we go!



The novel I'm planning on doing this year is one I've been working on for a really long time, but still have no name for yet, so it's just called Project Wales. I'm planning on taking this NaNoWriMo at a chill pace. I do still intend to try and reach the 50 000 words, but I'm not pressuring myself because I do have assignments to do as well. I'm more using this to get a good start on this story, rather than obsessing over the word count. So, hopefully I'll end the month as a NaNo winner, but if I don't hit the 50 000, I'll be happy with whatever I do end up with. 

Anyways! On with the linkup.


1. What first sparked the idea for this novel?


Oh boy. This idea’s been in the works for a long time and has gone through a lot of changes. It was originally a Victorian murder mystery idea, way back when, and honestly the only thing that’s stuck around since then is two of the characters' names, kind of. It’s hard to say what created what it is now, I’d say it’s a lot of factors. It’s been years honestly, and I’ve kept developing it and evolving it all that time. Now, it’s well whatever it is now.


2. Share a blurb (or just an overall summary if you’d prefer)!


When Jules Ridley - a young man with a mysterious ability to draw things he has never seen - returns to Carydrai University in North Wales for his second year, he fully intends to keep his head down and stay away from the magic at the fringes of Carydrai. That is, until he first draws, then meets Arthur Mulligan, a mysterious young man who speaks of a lost treasure that can grant you your heart’s greatest desire if only you find it. Arthur spins a convincing web and Jules cannot help but join him on his quest. But their group is not yet complete. 

It takes until the first-year students arrive for them to find the last pieces of the puzzle; Peri Gibson, a physically disabled girl with a way with words, and Kim Haneul, a Korean international student tormented by mysterious dreams. Once united, the four set off in search of the lost treasure of Merddyn Wyllt. 

But Carydrai has greater secrets than any of them know. As murders begin to occur throughout the town, will they survive to claim their prize? Or will the mysterious Golden Man find them first?


3. Where does the story take place? What are some of your favourite aspects about the setting?


It’s set initially in a fictional Welsh town called Carydrai, where magic blooms and dark secrets hide in the shadows. It kind of goes all over Wales and England though as the story goes on and the characters search for more clues to lead them to the treasure, and I’m so excited about it! 

I just love the eerie, magical nature of this world. I’ve been working on it for so long. I’m super passionate about Wales and specifically, this story draws from the Mabinogion as well as elements of Arthurian mythology and just general Welsh and English folklore. It’s supposed to be a bit creepy and a bit cosy and extremely magical. 


4. Tell us about your protagonist(s).


So I have three main protagonists in this first book; Jules, Haneul and Peri. The other main character is Arthur, but at this point in the series we don’t know much about him or his motivations. He’s super Mysterious. I’ll just quickly run through them, shall I? With the help of aesthetic boards I spent too long on.


Jules

INFP | 19 | Hufflepuff | magical artist | tol | wears all-black and thinks he's cool but is actually a Sensitive Bean | studying business at university even though he'd rather do literally anything else | has a really posh English accent | very sarcastic | emotional | can't cook, currently lives off instant noodles | carries jelly beans around with him everywhere | depressed


Peri

ENTP | 18 | Gryffindor | History student | Scouser | passionate | flighty | argumentative | refuses to tell anyone her full name | second-oldest of seven kids | protective to a fault | hot tempered | fiercely just | gardener who has won the prize at the local Agricultural Show for her Huge vegetables eight years running | physically disabled, has Ehlers Danlos Syndrome | feels like a burden on everyone around her


Haneul

ISFJ | 19 | Hufflepuff | Zoology student | Korean | magical dreamer | loves animals with all of his heart | deeply loving older brother | altruistic to a fault | hyperempathic | gentle | has rock bottom self-esteem | severe insomniac, suffers from nightmares almost every night | socially awkward | afraid of change | anxious | actually on the autism spectrum, but doesn't know it yet


Arthur

INTP | ? | Ravenclaw | has a Welsh accent | always wears wool | melodramatic | knows more than he's letting on??? | seems very sad sometimes | works at a magical coffee shop


5. Who (or what) is the antagonist?


The mysterious Golden Man. Can’t tell you much more than that though, a lot of spoilers surround this guy.


6. What excites you the most about this novel?


So much of this story excites me. So much. I just love the world and the characters and the themes, I’ve put so much of myself into this story already and I haven’t even properly started writing it yet. 


7. Is this going to be a series? standalone? something else?


It’ll be a series! Currently, I’m thinking a trilogy, but I’m actually not sure yet.


8. Are you plotting? pantsing? plansting?


Plansting mostly. I’ve done a lot of development for this story, and I have a whole page of notes and ideas roughly organised into chronological order, but I haven’t gone through and fully developed it all into scenes or chapters and a lot of it is subject to change. I’ve planned out the treasure clues a lot though and generally the mystery element needed a lot of planning and brainstorming. I have a lot of Thoughts and I’m not sure yet how much I’m revealing in this one, but I’ll figure it out as I go. 


9. Name a few unique elements about this story.


The world is unique, in my opinion. Like I said, I’ve drawn a lot from Welsh mythology and Welsh and English folklore for this world. I’ve also gone for a kind of interesting take on the contemporary fantasy realm where I haven’t actually completely hidden the magical world, it’s probably closer to magical realism in that way? I guess? I also think the characters are pretty unique, I’ve spent so long developing them that they’ve quite grown lives of their own. Another unique thing is that there's no romance in this novel, the main characters develop a very intense friendship with each other, but there's no romance whatsoever!


10. Share some fun “extras” of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you’ve made, a special theme you’re going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!).


Project Wales Aesthetic

old books - dark forests - crooked trees - libraries buried in the roots of trees - warm fires - tight hugs - ancient mysteries - dark alleyways - floating cups - loud laughter - worn sofas - corkboards with string - conspiracy theories - tingling at your fingertips - nighttime - flickering candle-light - friendship - espresso coffee - spinning compasses

As for playlists, here are a few songs for each MC that I personally feel fit them the best.


Jules


Pluto by Sleeping At Last


Still I’m pinned under the weight | Of what I believed would keep me safe. | So show me where my armour ends | Show me where my skin begins. | Like a final puzzle piece | It all makes perfect sense to me | The heaviness that I hold in my heart belongs to gravity | The heaviness that I hold in my heart’s been crushing me…



Side Effects by Stray Kids


My head hurts | I threw myself with trust in me | But why am I being swayed | I threw myself with trust in me | But why am I just being hurt | Wait a second, this is weird, my vision’s blurry | Why doesn’t it end? I keep hearing disturbing noises | Even here, I kept | Believing in winning over everything with my will to fight | Bravado can’t last anymore | Maybe it hurts more because I thought it’d be easy…



Zero by Imagine Dragons


Hello, hello | Let me tell you what it's like to be a zero, zero | Let me show you what it's like to always feel, feel | Like I'm empty and there's nothing really real, real | I'm looking for a way out | Hello, hello | Let me tell you what it's like to be a zero, zero | Let me show you what it's like to never feel, feel | Like I'm good enough for anything that's real, real | I'm looking for a way out… 



Zombie by Day6 (Korean Version)


What kind of day was it yesterday | Was there anything special | I’m trying to remember | But nothing much comes to mind…How do I get through this | Would things get better if I cry my heart out… I feel like I became a zombie | With an empty head and an empty heart | A scarecrow without a brain inside | Since when have I ended up like this? Oh why | I became a zombie | I walk on, drifting aimlessly | Tomorrow will be no different | I live counting the time ’til I close my eyes…




Peri


A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman


'Cause every night, I lie in bed | The brightest colours fill my head | A million dreams are keeping me awake | I think of what the world could be | A vision of the one I see | A million dreams is all it's gonna take | Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make…



Hey Brother by Avicii


Hey, brother | There's an endless road to rediscover. | Hey, sister | Do you still believe in love, I wonder? | Oh, if the sky comes falling down for you, | There's nothing in this world I wouldn't do…



Four by Sleeping At Last


But I've fallen in love with a ghost | And I lost my balance when I needed it most | This blurry photograph is proof | Of what I'm not sure but it feels like truth | I'm stuck swimming in shadows down here | It's been forever since I came up for air | Flashlight in hand determined to find | Authenticity only poetry could even begin to try to describe | Bodies fashioned out of dirt and dust | For a moment we get to be glorious…



The Upside by Lindsey Stirling (feat. Elle King)


Now I'm lost and I'm broken | Deep in like the ocean | Heart's been cut wide open | Changing and I know it | I'm seeing signs of you | When it's the only thing | That gets me through| On my way to the upside now | I'm on my way, on my way out | I don't know if I'm right side up | I'm inside out but I won't give up | On my way, I'm on my way…




Haneul


Sunrise by GFRIEND


My burning heart will not hold on | I’ll send you all of me | So that you remember me | I’ll remember you in memory | Just wait and listen to me | I need you to come with me | I’m going to get you out of this darkness | The cold and radiant | Sunrise, sunrise | Look, look, it’s hiding | I’m never going back | Hold on to me | I’ve been waiting for you to start | From start to finish



Mixtape #3 by Stray Kids


You must have suffered a lot | Living as you tried to be awake | Time must have passed a lot | It’s on your face | You lost and won in the battle | With the numbers for 4380 days | Get out of the room that locked you all night | You really did a good job | Let’s only walk on the flowery path | I’ve run without a break | In the repeated tension | I chose a path that’s not easy | To make flowers bloom, they have to go through the winter | I hope I can see the fruits of the flowers…



Waving Through A Window from Dear Evan Hansen


On the outside always looking in | Will I ever be more than I've always been | Cause I'm tap, tap, tapping on the glass | Waving through a window | I tried to speak but nobody can hear | So I wait around for an answer to appear…When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around | Do you ever really crash or even make a sound | Did I even make a sound | Did I even make a sound | It's like I never made a sound | Will I ever make a sound?…



Bird With A Broken Wing by Owl City


It's another night of the living dead | Like a viper bite in a spiderweb | It's so deathly dark in the alleyway | And a bleeding heart makes you easy prey | I would run and hide for the afternoon | With the butterfly in the panic room | Though I won't be missed, I would say it's time | For a different twist in the story line…



And with that, we're done! I'll probably be back to do the second part of the linkup in November. Bye!

16 comments:

  1. OH MY. *heart-eyes* I am already totally in love with the entire aesthetic and concept of this story. I mean, an eerie, magical version of Wales??? YESSSSS. I LOVE IT. And the characters all sounds SO real and such a fantastic crew. (Also, huzzah for no romance! That's awesome!)

    Um. Seriously. This sounds so amazing and I adored reading about it. Thank you so much for joining the linkup and sharing all this goodness. I hope the writing goes fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh!!! Thank you so much!!! I'm so happy you like the sound of it!! I've been working on this for so long and I'm so excited to finally be writing it properly. This story and this world mean so much to me haha. Thank you, I'm glad they seem real, I've put a lot of work into them.

      Yay!! I'm so happy you enjoyed reading about it! Hopefully NaNo goes well and I'll have some solid snippets to share in November!! Thank you for reading, I'm excited to read yours when you post it!

      Delete
  2. This book looks like it would be the perfect book to read on a rainy day, snuggled up in a blanket with a cup of tea.
    Honestly I love the whole sound of this book. I'm fascinated by Welsh mythology and I think the idea of looking for Myrrdin Wylt's treasure is brilliant.
    Also love the characters! I definitely feel like Peri would end up being my favourite! And Arthur's aesthetic board is extraordinarily clever :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much exactly the vibe I'm going for, so yesssss!! I love those kinds of books.

      Yay!! Same, I love Welsh mythology so much, it's a big interest of mine, so getting to use it in a story is my favourite thing. I'm glad you like the idea!!

      Ahhhh!!!! I'm so happy you like them!!! That's extremely valid, Peri best girl. Arthur was a weird character to make an aesthetic board for cause he's so Mysterious, so I'm glad it came out well, I tried very hard haha.

      Thank you so much!

      Delete
  3. This story is SO cool! All the characters sound amazing and I love how they develop a deep friendship instead of there being romance. We need more friendship stories! All the aesthetics are so beautiful and I'm already so intrigued about this story. I already love Arthur, mystery characters who possibly know more than they let on are my favourite! <3 ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh!! Thank you!! Yeah, I love friendship stories so much, I wish there was more of them. Even though I can appreciate a good romance, I always connect more with friendship stories haha. Yay, I'm glad you like them and the story! Yep, Arthur's great and very mysterious haha. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I was pleasantly surprised that there is no romance in this story. Love it.
    All of this is so intriguing, and I think your main cast of characters are quite diverse. In more ways than one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, we love no romance in this house. I'm kind of pathetically awful at writing romance anyway, so it all works out haha.

      Yay! I'm glad it's intriguing. I was trying not to give too much away, whilst still giving enough information to get people interested. Yeah, they're a diverse bunch, not necessarily intentionally, they just sort of ended up like that haha.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. I love it! I love Wales and Arthurian mythology (it makes me think of the Dark Is Rising sequence). The character profiles you gave felt like real people, and I'm fond of them already! (I'm also completely distracted by the fact that we share a name 😁)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so happy you like it! Yeah, Wales and Arthurian mythology is really interesting to me, so I'm excited to get to use it. I've never heard of that, I'll have to look it up! Yay, I'm so happy you like them! I'm glad the character profiles worked out well, I rewrote them a bunch of times to try and get them right haha. (We do? Which one, Esther? That's super cool anyway! I always love meeting people with the same name as me haha)

      Delete
  6. THIS SOUNDS AMAZING. Your characters seem great. Wales and Arthurian mythology are so amazing I love them!
    Also, we stan platonic relationship-focused stories in this house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! I'm so glad you like them! Yeah, I'm so excited to get to work with them in this story.

      Yes, we do indeed.

      Delete
  7. Hey Esther, really glad to hear you're back! This novel sounds great and I hope you succeed with this NaNoWriMo (may do it, but got a lot of other stories to work rn so unsure yet)! I'm thinking of doing a contemporary based story in Wales too in the future, though set earlier on in the 1900s or around then. And more horror based. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Deborah haha. I'm not fully back like I said, but I'm going to try and post a little bit more regularly. I'm happy you like it! That sounds like such a cool idea, you should definitely write it!! Horror-based stories are fun haha.

      Delete
  8. Eeeeeep. This looks BEAUTIFUL. Contemporary magical realism? With intense friendships? And cozy aesthetics? And mysteriousness? Ack. Gimme. I wanna read it.

    Best of luck with NaNo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh!! Thank you so much!! I'm so happy you like it!! It has so many elements that make me really excited to work on it, so I'm so happy other people are also excited by it haha.

      Thank you, you too!

      Delete

Know The Novel - Within Spooky Wild West

Hello, all. It's been a few weeks and I'm back again, with the second part of the Know the Novel linkup made by Christine Smith . If...