Wednesday 6 October 2021

Know The Novel Part One: Introducing Asteria (& An Update on Project Wales/NaNoWriMo)

 Hello all!

Last year, I participated in Know The Novel for the first two parts (and flopped at posting the last, but it's okay, everything's fine) and I had a really good time! For an update, since I missed the last lot of questions, I did in fact successfully finish NaNoWriMo last year.

So, I decided to participate again this year - and actually endeavour to finish it this time around. However, I was faced with a bit of a problem, specifically that my 2021 NaNo project is, in fact, the same as it was last year, because I'm hoping to use NaNo to completely finish Project Wales this year! I'm currently at 72k words for this draft, and before I start NaNo, I'm hoping to write another 20k or so on it during October so I can finish it with the 50k for NaNo. Yes, this is an enormous book. I'm currently partway through the midpoint chapter, so...yeah. Massive book. My goal was 120k, it's looking like it might be 140k haha. Hilariously, my first ever completed novel finished up at around 72k words, so...character development, I guess?

But, since I'm doing the same story, I felt like it'd be a bit redundant to go back through the same novel using these questions, since I've already answered them. The only thing that's really changed since last update is that Haneul's back to being a boy again haha. So, I made the decision to answer the Part 1 questions for my other WIP, Asteria. Yes, I have a plethora of WIPs. No, I'm not okay. Here's a link to my Project Wales post if you need a refresh on what my actual NaNo project is: Project Wales

Asteria is a WIP I've talked about a few times on this blog, but I've never actually made a whole post talking about it. Since I've long-since finished the first draft, and am currently working on the second, it seems like a good time to do so. Especially since I'm hoping to continue working on it a little during November. Project Wales will obviously be my focus, but I'm hoping to get a decent amount done on Asteria as well.

So, without further ado, let me introduce you to Asteria (definitely not final title).



What first sparked the idea for this novel?


I came up with this idea literally years ago and it's honestly very hard to pinpoint what started it. If I remember correctly, it was way back when Disney XD's Lab Rats was airing and I got an idea to write a contemporary sci-fi about three triplets with superpowers, who escape from a lab. Literally none of this has stuck around. For context, that show started airing in 2012 and only ended in 2016 so...it's been a while. I distinctly remember being sixteen when I was developing it, because I was the same age as Minerva, and I'm twenty-three now, so...yes. It's been a hot minute.

I wrote out so many different variations of this idea and it took years for me to come to my current iteration of it. First I switched it from contemporary to set in space. I even filled out a whole outline plan for that version of it, before ditching basically everything except for a couple of characters' names, as you can see here - I can include this because literally none of this is relevant anymore haha.


Then, I cut two of the siblings and stuck with just Minerva. I then wrote the first chapter and a half for my Advanced Creative Writing OU module final EMA in mid-2017. And then I wrote a rambling bulletpoint outline that was ninety-nine percent me snarking at myself and my characters, which ended up being what I wrote the first draft off of - except it was nothing like the outline really, because I am nothing if not an incorrigible pantser even when I'm trying to outline. Just so you understand what I'm talking about here, this was the beginning of my mess of an outline.

Also, for your information, Patrick does not in any way exist anymore. So that's a RIP on him.

So yes, this story has been in the works for a very, very long time and I'm just now starting on the second draft of it. I finished the first draft back in 2018, ignored it for ages because I'm the worst like that, and now I'm finally editing it. There are some big rewrites happening here. It's wild. 

Basically every piece of advice out there for editing says to read your whole draft through first and make notes before diving into editing. I...got up to the middle of it before I started editing? I have notes up until chapter twenty-four? (of forty-three, but shush, it's not a big deal)

Just funny things from the early days of this story's inception include Minerva being an INTP (rip her braincells) and the fact that I, for some reason, thought it was a smart idea to have no less than two separate smuggler crews involved in the storyline, which was confusing even in outline form, so I'm glad I got wise about that. Also, Minerva used to be named Becca. That's just very funny to me now.


Share a blurb (or just an overall summary)!


Hello, welcome to To Write or Not To Write, where I'm absolutely terrible at writing blurbs. But here's a rough summary that I managed to scrap together over the course of about ten minutes.


Number 1291 – secretly known as Minerva to a scarce few – has nothing, except for her loyalty to the Valerian Republic, her orders and the stolen moments in cupboards and behind pods where she can truly be herself, with those few whose names she knows. Part of her knows that there should be something more to life than this, but she cannot let herself dwell on it.

But then Layla – one of the only people in her life – hacks the information satellite, Apollo, that keeps the Republic running, and reveals terrible information to Minerva about the Republic that they both serve. Shortly after, Layla is caught and executed for treachery. Minerva’s response drives the overseers to attempt to reprogram her and, terrified of losing Layla all over again, Minerva breaks out of the station and flees to the planet below.

All she cares about, all she can care about, is escaping. Getting away from the Republic, whatever the cost. A smuggler captain agrees to take her on as a passenger, as long as she works off the debt, and Minerva resolves to reach Kimbal – the only planet outside of the Republic’s control due to being a mechanical planet floating in the Hades gas cloud – without anything holding her back. But as she spends months on the ship, she finds herself growing steadily more and more attached to the crew – something that terrifies her because to love is to have a weakness. Worse, she soon discovers that she is being hunted down by the terrible Iron Lady, who will have no qualms about murdering whoever she is caught with.

As her desires, fear and heart conflict with each other, which will Minerva choose to follow?


Is it awful? Absolutely. Is it the best I can do in this current moment of time? One hundred percent.


Where does the story take place? What are some of your favourite aspects about the setting?


This novel takes place in the Asterian solar system, which is largely ruled by the Valerian Republic - a deeply corrupt, abusive institute originally formed a thousand years prior by humans who migrated to the system via generational ships. While the Republic started with the best of intentions, and initially was perfectly fair and as right as a government can be, over time it steadily began to break down until it reaches the state it's currently in, which is very not-good. 

I created several planets for this world and I love all of them. Especially, I really enjoy the legends and myths that I crafted for the cultures. I also just really like writing in space. Space is fun. There are also a lot of minor details that I really had fun thinking up when I was writing. 


Tell us about your protagonist(s).


1291 | Minerva


ENFP | 16 | Hufflepuff | brainwashed assassin turned runaway | telepathic | incredibly anxious | suffers from PTSD and lowkey depression | named herself in secret | leather jackets | loves bread more than life itself | delights in exploring new places and meeting new people | kindhearted | loves history and stories | extremely protective of those she loves | has never heard of this 'friendship' you keep talking about | emotions are hard and she doesn't deal with them

*forgive my attempt at an aesthetic/moodboard here, i'm working with stock photos because i am terrified of copyright infringement and it's a rough life.


Who (or what) is the antagonist?


As a whole, the Valerian Republic is the overall antagonist, but the more personal antagonist is the Iron Lady, who is the Republic's enforcer specifically trained for hunting down people like Minerva.


What excites you the most about this novel?


So much about this novel excites me! It has so many of my favourite themes and elements. Honestly, I'm just as excited about it now as I was when I was first drafting it. Some major things I'm excited for are:


The Characters

I absolutely adore all of the characters in this novel. Minerva, of course, is an obvious one. She's one of my favourite protagonists that I've ever written and I'm very excited to strengthen her character. I put a lot of myself into her, especially I used a lot of my own experiences with anxiety and depression to write her, so she's a character who's very near and dear to my heart. 

I also love the crew she joins. There are nine current members of the crew, as well as another passenger called Calahan who's Very Important, and they're all so much fun. I'm really eager to strengthen their characters as well. I really want to create some more Conflict between them all and to make them more well-rounded and individual. I've been hard at work developing them more and I'm excited to put it all into action when I rewrite their scenes.

Calahan in particular is a character I'm excited to make better. He's very complex and I love the character arc he undergoes, but it definitely needs strengthening. I also love his relationship specifically with Minerva, it's very important overall - it's somewhere between a romance and a friendship, which develops more later in the series, but in this book we lay the foundation, which needs to be strong. I'm eager to improve it.


The Relationships

Speaking of which, in general, I'm very excited for all the character relationships in this book. There's a significant found family aspect, every member of the crew has in some way lost their family and they've built this family and home together, and through that, Minerva comes to understand friendship and family in a way she never has before. 

Along with Minerva and Calahan's relationship, there's also the relationship between Minerva and Layla, which is extremely pivotal and a lot of the novel is devoted to Minerva figuring out how to define it and understand it, as when she first leaves, she doesn't know how to call it a friendship.


The Themes

There are so many themes in this that I just adore. Themes of friendship, sacrifice, found family, freedom - the question of what freedom truly means, healing from trauma, rebuilding self-identity and a lot more. I'm so excited to bring them out more and make them stronger.


Certain Scenes

As this is a second draft, there are also just some scenes that I'm really excited to get to and work on. There are more scenes that I've planned to replace old ones that I'm eager to write out and see how well they actually work. I'm just really excited about this story, guys.


Is this going to be a series? standalone? something else?


This is intended to be a trilogy. I've planned out a lot of the second already, and I'm mostly just hoping to get this one a few drafts in before I start on the second.


Are you plotting? pantsing? plansting?


I'm editing, so I'm kind of beyond the plotting vs pantsing stage. If I had to pick one, I'd probably say plantsing, since I have kind of planned out scenes that I need to write, but a lot of the changes are happening as I write still.


Name a few unique elements about this story.


Hmmm, I think the characters are quite unique, hopefully. I also think the idea of a mechanical planet in a gas cloud is pretty unique. Also, there are space sirens! And a space kraken! And semi-living spaceships! And slight hints of magic, which is always fun. This story is really more science-fantasy/space opera than sci-fi, and I'm hoping to bring that out more in the second draft haha.


Share some fun “extras” of the story (a song or full playlist, some aesthetics, a collage, a Pinterest board, a map you’ve made, a special theme you’re going to incorporate, ANYTHING you want to share!).


The Pinterest board for this novel is here and the Spotify playlist is here. 



And that, my friends, is that. Hopefully, I will return in November with Part Two, and December with Part Three. Who knows, maybe I'll start being more active on here in general...we shall see. Good luck to you if you're doing NaNoWriMo too. My NaNoWriMo account is here, I'd love to be buddies if you so desire. Just shoot me an invite and then message away to your heart's content.

8 comments:

  1. First of all, CONGRATS on finishing NaNo last year!!! And nooo worries about not doing the last part of Know the Novel. December is always QUITE the month. Eheh. Entirely understandable!

    Secondly, I sympathize SO HARD on novels growing to ridiculous lengths. My novels are always such monsters. I just can't even... *shakes head*

    Thirdly, I'm laughing so hard at your outline because I DO THE EXACT SAME THING. Like. Seriously. That outline looks just like the notes I make for myself, almost uncannily! But really now, snarking oneself makes plotting MUCH more fun. *nods seriously*

    Fourth, THIS SOUNDS SO FUN OH MY GOODNESS. The world is fascinating! So many fun space-y things with MAGIC. And I mean space sirens and kraken and semi-livings ships??? I AM HERE FOR THIS. Also FOUND FAMILYYYY. My absolute favorite thing of ever. And I'm already loving the sound of these characters. Minverva sound like such a wildly chaotic ball of epicness. I can imagine she's the type to keep her writer AND readers on their toes, which is always the best! (I also have an affinity for writing ENFPs. They're such fun!)

    I just love everything about this! I'm so glad you shared. Thank you SO MUCH for joining the linkup. This was a delight to read! I do hope working on this and NaNo and all the things go well. Cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Congrats to you too, you did so well and your story was so interesting from your posts!

      I get worse for that every time I write a new novel, they're just growing exponentially. To think that I was once worried that my stories weren't long enough haha. I'm just concerned where this is going to go, I feel like they'll end up unbelievably long eventually smh.

      Us writers are a strange breed and no mistake. It really does. That kind of outlining is the only kind I've ever been able to really get into, I've done others but they've never excited me as much haha. I think it's because when I'm joking around with myself and snarking at the characters, I feel less restrained and beholden to it, as opposed to a 'serious' outline where I feel less able to stray away from it.

      Ahhh, thank you so much!!! I definitely want to bring these elements out more in the second draft, they're there in the first, but I feel like they really add something to this world to make it unique and that's really important to me. Yessss, found family is literally my favourite thing to write and it finds its way into everything I write no matter what. She is, honestly. To the point that I'm not 100% sure on her MBTI type anymore, I've typed her as an ENFP, but I'm honestly not sure haha. She's a lot of fun to write. (I definitely have an affinity for ENFPs as well, and ENTPs, I'm not sure why haha).

      Awww, thank you. Thank you for doing the linkup, I had a lot of fun writing this - and the other version for a completely different novel that I wrote out first before changing my mind haha. I look forward to your post. I hope your NaNo goes even better than last year's!

      Delete
  2. Accccck. Esther this looks like SO MUCH FUN. Your bullet point outline is fantastic. XD And hey, my current project is a revision of my attempts at space opera/sci-fi from when I was sixteen, too! Only, I gave up trying to make mine serious and now it's just...intentionally ridiculous. You've actually preserved the dead-serious, this-is-gonna-be-a-high-stakes,-emotional-adventure-story feel and I am IMPRESSED.

    I would never have guessed you were working with stock photos for the aesthetic, for the record. Coulda fooled me. (But also I relate hardcore. Copyright infringement is NOT something I wanna mess around with.) Minerva's leather jacket. *heart eyes* I'm jealous. I want one.

    Minerva sounds like a total sweetheart and I'm so happy she gets to be in a found family story. The character dynamics sound so FUN. *flails*

    Also the blurb? is really compelling? i think you can write blurbs better than you think you can?

    And I'm really intrigued by, just, the whole concept of the Republic. It sounds so EPIC. Like a world you could get lost in. And I can't wait to find out more about it! Good luck with all your writing projects!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yeah, it's a ton of fun. And also sometimes emotionally harrowing but I feel like that's just part of the fun. Oh wow, cool! I think I've read your post, it sounds really interesting. I swear I will absolutely comment on your post once I've gathered up the spoons for it, just give me a bit. It looks super cool. I mean, that's valid, I have absolutely had stories that I gave up on making serious in the end, and fun space opera is great! Thanks haha, I tried.

      I had to scour the depths so much, it took me so long, so I'm glad it's not super obvious. Yesss, Minerva's leather jacket is of vital importance to her character, so it had to be in there. It's super cool.

      She absolutely is. I can think of few characters who need a found family story more than Minerva. They are! I'm so excited to work more on them and make them more complex. It's going to be so much fun.

      Awww, thank you. I'm glad it was compelling for you!

      Ahhhh, thank you. I'm happy it's intriguing. The Republic is a world that I personally find really interesting and fun, but I've often worried about whether or not other people would, so I'm glad that at least based off the little I wrote in in here, you found it intriguing. Thank you, good luck to you too!

      Delete
  3. This all sounds super fun! Congrats on NaNo last year. I, too, know what it's like to have novels grow out of control. The last book in my last series clocked in at 210,000 words before I started editing it (YIKES). I did manage to rein it in to a more modest 175k... but still...

    Minerva sounds like quite the fun character to write! And this story world sounds EPIC! I love it!

    Also, your outline!!! Thanks for sharing! That's sort of what my outlines end up looking like, and it's nice to know I'm not alone. I've been working on doing better with outlines, but it's truly an effort for me. I was always the kid in high school writing my papers SUPER early so that I could figure out what the outline would have to be so I could turn that in on time. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Honestly, this is becoming more and more of a problem for me haha. Long gone are the days when I sat there with my 70k story and went, awww, I wish I could write longer stories. Oh wow, that is....quite impressive. I respect it.

      She's a lot of fun. Thank you! I'm so glad everyone likes my storyworld, imo it's the weakest part so I'm glad it at least has interesting foundations.

      Honestly, now that I've abandoned outlines, I basically do the same thing except I throw down random ideas in a document and then try and vaguely organise them into some semblance of an order. There's so much snark in there. So much. Oh, I relate. I always hated the whole 'show your plan' thing, because I always just sat down and wrote it without planning at all haha.

      Delete
  4. This sounds so cool! I love the sound of Minerva, she sounds like my favourite type of traumatised character who really just needs a friend and a hug. I also love the space fantasy/opera style which sounds perfect for this book! All the best with your writing, I look forward to learning more about it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She is absolutely that kind of character. She needs lots of hugs. We must protect. Thank you, it's honestly become more and more like that as I've written it out, it really feels like this is what the story wants to be, you know? Thank you! You too :)

      Delete

Know The Novel - Within Spooky Wild West

Hello, all. It's been a few weeks and I'm back again, with the second part of the Know the Novel linkup made by Christine Smith . If...